This is a quick post to provide an update to a topic that’s been discussed a lot on our X/Twitter feed and YouTube channel. Some early reports coming out of the CES 2024 event this week in Las Vegas showed that the forthcoming Asus ROG Swift PG27AQDP 480Hz OLED would feature a glossy screen coating. Pictures and videos were provided from various sources, but this confused us as to our knowledge the WOLED panel being used here from LG.Display was not planned to be glossy. Apparently, the Asus reps at the CES booth also confirmed this was the final version of the product (which is partially true as you can see below).
Further investigation reveals this is incorrect
After further investigation we have had confirmation from Asus’ product and project managers, and from the panel manufacturer LG.Display that this screen will NOT be glossy. LG.Display confirmed that they are not planning to produce a glossy version of this 480Hz OLED panel at this time, it will feature the standard matte anti-glare coating of their existing WOLED panels including the 27” 240Hz versions widely used today.
So what happened?
Amusingly (although perhaps not for the Asus reps involved) it seems that Asus had neglected to remove the shiny plastic protective coating from the screen when it was first set up! This makes it look shiny and very reflective as you can see from the initial pictures, but underneath that protective sheet is the standard matte AG coating.
Visitors to the booth later on found the screen to have the expected matte coating as pictured here. Oops. The Asus rep was correct in that it was the final version of the product, it’s just that noone had removed the protective film that the screen will be shipped with!
We may earn a commission if you purchase from our affiliate links in this news piece – TFTCentral is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.ca and other Amazon stores worldwide. We also participate in a similar scheme for Overclockers.co.uk, Newegg, Bestbuy and some manufacturers.
All The Best CES 2024 Monitor news!
If you want all the best display news from this year’s CES event in one, easy to follow summary, check out our round-up video here.
Stay up to date
|Follow us on X (Twitter)
Popular Trending News
- Gigabyte AORUS FO32U2P Full Details Available, with 32″ QD-OLED Panel and DisplayPort 2.1 March 1, 2024
- LG 32GS95UE with 32″ Dual-Mode OLED Panel – Full Specs and Pricing Released March 1, 2024
- Dell UltraSharp U4025QW with 40″ 5120 x 2160 IPS Black Panel and 120Hz Refresh Rate January 4, 2024
- Asus ROG Swift PG27AQDP with 27″ 1440p 480Hz OLED Panel Unveiled January 9, 2024
- LG Release the 27GS95QE, a Brighter Version of Their 27″ 240Hz OLED Monitor January 27, 2024
- NVIDIA DSR and DLDSR do Work with DSC Monitors…Sometimes February 9, 2024
- Asus Unveil ROG Swift PG39WCDM with 39″ Ultrawide OLED Panel and 240Hz January 10, 2024
- Dell UltraSharp U3824DW with 38″ Ultrawide IPS Black Panel Released February 7, 2024