MSI didn’t release much information about this new display, but we expect more to be announced at CES 2022 as it has already received a CES Innovation Award. It looks like they are set to release a massive 55″ OLED display in their gaming line-up, following in the footsteps of other manufacturers like Dell, Acer and ViewSonic who have all announced or released similar options. The MSI screen will be called the MEG551U and from what we know so far will offer a 3840 x 2160 “4K” resolution, 120Hz refresh rate and have a 0.5ms response time (realistic for OLED).
OLED Panel for great HDR
Being based on an OLED panel it will be able to offer per-pixel dimming and offer great performance as a result for HDR content. This allows pixels to be individually turned off, producing “true black” and basically infinite contrast ratio.
No specs are provided at the moment for things like peak brightness (expect 700 – 800 cd/m2), colour gamut (expect >90% DCI-P3), colour depth (10-bit very likely), or HDR standard support (expect at least HDR10 obviously, but unclear on things like HLG or Dolby Vision).
Other specs not confirmed yet
While not announced or confirmed yet, we would expect the screen to include modern HDMI 2.1 connections like competing TV’s such as the popular LG CX / C1 range. We would expect this to also then bring support for HDMI-VRR and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and make it a suitable screen for modern games consoles. Whether or not PC connectivity like DisplayPort will be included remains to be seen, but the display does seem to be aimed more at that “monitor” market instead of the “TV” market. It’s not clear what exactly has earned MSI the CES Innovation Award either at this stage.
More details when we get them
We may earn a commission if you purchase from our affiliate links in this news piece – TFTCentral is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.ca and other Amazon stores worldwide. We also participate in a similar scheme for Overclockers.co.uk, Newegg, Bestbuy and some manufacturers.
Stay up to date
|Browser Alerts||Follow us on X (Twitter)||Subscribe||Support Us|
Popular Trending News
- Dell Announce New Alienware 27″ 1440p 360Hz and 32″ 4K 240Hz QD-OLED Gaming Monitors October 23, 2023
- Asus Announced ROG Swift PG32UCDM with 31.5″ QD-OLED Panel, 4K and 240Hz Refresh Rate August 22, 2023
- Monitor OLED Panel Roadmap Updates – March 2023 March 27, 2023
- Red Magic 4K Gaming Monitor Announced with 5088-zone Mini LED Backlight November 23, 2023
- MSI Officially Announce Range of New QD-OLED Monitors November 2, 2023
- Dell U2724D and U2724DE 27″ Monitors Announced with the First 120Hz ‘IPS Black’ Panels November 1, 2023
- AOC Launch CU34G2XE and CU34G2XP 34″ Ultrawide Gaming Monitors November 30, 2023
- Cooler Master Tempest GP2711 with 27″ 1440p VA Panel and 576-zone Mini LED Backlight October 2, 2023